Create your own Poetic Libretto (16 pages of poetry and photos) and send it to donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com. Your Poetic Libretto will be posted on this site and you will be invited to perform it at a Poetic Libretto Jubilee on Saturday Afternoon Poetry's Zoom channel early next year

Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Life Lines by Don Kingfisher Campbell

a poetic libretto

1 > Cultural Appropriation (08 02 2024)

2 > Mental Health (08 02 2024)

3 > Gone Poem (08 03 2024)

4 > The Los Angeles River (08 11 2024)

5 > Collection (08 19 2024)

6 > Life Line (08 24 2024)

7 > It’s Funny When We Go to Costco (08 25 2024)

8 > Two Love (08 30 2024)

9 > Triumph and Tragedy (09 07 2024)

10 > Horror (09 24 2024)


1 > Cultural Appropriation

 

Oh oh, CaLoki, you suggested

making the November theme for

Four Feathers Press online edition

Dia De Los Muertos, isn't that...?

 

Not as bad as performing songs

from another culture like Paul

Simon did on Graceland, and,

now that I think about it, Me And

Julio Down By The Schoolyard.

Don't even mention Genesis!

 

Yikes, am I not allowed to order

my beloved bean and cheese

burrito anymore? And I just

bought dumplings at the 168

Market on Valley Boulevard

and nobody stopped me

except to say Shi Sheh.

 

You know why I got them,

my wife is from Dalian, then

adulted in Sanya. Is getting

married the ultimate C.A.?

 

Wait a minute, I'm writing

this poem in English. Talk

about colloquial acquisition....

 


 

2 > Mental Health

 

My fellow poet and friend

for fifteen years Marvinlouis

has worried about his mind

 

You see he has characters

in his head, the inner child,

the ego, and the Muse

with a capital M

 

Muse tells him words

that are actually poetry

which Dorsey takes down

with great concentration

 

Lines like burned

his fingers on purpose

so he wouldn’t feel

the pain

 

Even if he’s possessed,

tossing away society’s

priorities, he has a large

one of his own, his Muse

 

 



3 > Gone Poem

 

North Hollywood

Plastic Toys

Blurry Vision

Insurance Glasses

Half Brothers

School Chums

Stereo Components

Girl Friends

Music Center

Monterey Park

Record Albums

One Father

Used Cars

El Sereno

One Cousin

Audio Cassettes

Waist Line

Lost Teeth

Five Wives

Compact Discs

Land Lords

Class Rooms

One Mother

Washing Machine

Old Refrigerator

Passing Poets

Dozen Presidents

 

But Poetry

You Have

Never Left

Me, Your

Spirit Is

Always Here

 


 

4 > The Los Angeles River

 

Our family being driven

By my father on the 5 fwy

To Burbank in the Buick

Skylark to his uncle’s house

To watch Sunday football

Drink white grape juice

Poured into Styrofoam cups

By my great aunt Edith

Who was hard of hearing

My sister and I would then

Go into the hallway where

A bottom drawer was filled

With coloring books, crayons,

Brown and green Lincoln logs

While the men in the house

Would sit around the dining table

With an ornate tablecloth

That fit the particular season

And they would play cards

To 500 points the winner

(When I was 11 I got to join them)

We were given a dollar to walk

Down the block to a small

Corner market in which we

Bought comic books and candy

But the thing I remember most

That stayed with the artist in me

Was looking for Leo Limon’s cat

Faces on the storm drain covers

On the way there and back



 

 5 > Collection

 

My baby's got

her collections of

toy cars

dolls

make-up

clothes

 

I've got my

collections of

books

CDs

poetry

clothes

 

Some day they

will be utterly

useless

unneeded

unwanted

unliving

 



6 > Life Line


Driving home

on the 101 freeway

from the Hollywood

Hills where my late great

aunt used to live

 

And the street

level abode of

the woman who has

just agreed to make me

a Poetry Editor of Zo

 

We pass to the left

my ninth story birthplace

(and my mother's too)

the Queen of Angels

Hospital now Dream Center

 

Almost immediately to

the right the hospital whose

name always changes where

my father died of cancer

at 58 in a semi-private room

 

Closer to downtown

The Music Center

location of my first job

as an usher and my

soon to be first wife

 

Only a short exit away

the Hall of Justice once

my dad's work in which

he incarcerated me for

an hour and a half

 

Changing into the 10

I delightfully see

General Hospital where

my daughter was born

after 39 hours labor

 

And the City Terrace

off ramp I would take

to allow my about to

become first ex to visit

the house of her childhood

 

The coming north

view features a sweep

of buildings that are

my bachelor's degree

alma mater Cal State L.A.

 

Finally Fremont Avenue

whose looping departure

points us to my sixth

marital cohabitation spot

the rear of a duplex





7 > It's Funny When We Go to Costco

 

“When you’re in love with a beautiful woman…” – Even Stevens

 

We traverse the parking lot

holding hands as she attracts

brief glances from gentlemen

who enjoy curves in clothing

much like wolves near lambs

 

Entering the raised gate

I push the shopping cart

let her walk in front of me

so I can watch her hips swing

like a pendulum in jeans

 

If she gets too far ahead

I notice male members

accidentally steer their carts

into stock distracted by biology

unhappy wives behind them

 

Yes I can't leave her alone

in the meat (meet) section

because lonely gents

smile at her and want to

discuss breasts and loins

 

I'm just as guilty except

I sneak my peeks even more

sneakily until we drive home

I look forward to seeing her

try on purchases like a kid

 

on Christmas who just wishes

to unwrap his promised present

for animal action in the afternoon

like a genetically ruled human

 



8 > Two Love

 

from opposite sides of the dining table

single hands finger meander like cats

looking to nail nuzzle each other

 

one slips on top of one upturned

palm lying flat like a survival raft

as fingertips slide and meet wrists

 

there they go back and forth to create

soft friction sensed by skin, faster

and faster to generate welcome heat

 

then thumbs stroke sides, eight digits

latch in the middle like a train coupling

clench cut nail edged fists into palms

 

shimmy and release so whole hand can

turn perpendicular and embrace, lock

on to push up and down a squeezy kiss

 



9 > Triumph and Tragedy

 

Wheeled out the portable

Air conditioner that looks

Like an all-white R2-D2

 

Sat it next to me in my red

UCLA-lifted swivel chair to

Provide a 78-degree breeze

 

I pointed the white plastic

Caterpillar-like exhaust tube

To the parted front door space

 

Below the bottom of the black

Iron security screen somehow an

Orange butterfly stilled by blast

 

 



10 > Horror (a found poem*)

 

1 (Jupiter eats Earth)

 

imagine a grape

next to a basketball

like a drop of food

 

coloring into ocean

glowing white hot

liquid metallic hydrogen

 

2 (Visit HD189733b)

 

blue earth-like planet

with soft oceanic swirls

a Van Gogh marble

 

constant winds whip

rainstorms of molten

glass shards sideways

 

fiery cosmic tornado

chunks shred you apart

with near infinite cuts

 

3 (the great nothing)

 

everything will dissolve

voids are growing and will

consume all things forever

 

*Inspired by https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVs7MwizT5




No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Write Poetry by Jim Babwe