Create your own Poetic Libretto (16 pages of poetry and photos) and send it to donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com. Your Poetic Libretto will be posted on this site and you will be invited to perform it at a Poetic Libretto Jubilee on Saturday Afternoon Poetry's Zoom channel early next year

Sunday, September 29, 2024

RavenSong by Karen Pierce Gonzalez

 

RavenSong

 

a poetic libretto

 

art and poetry

 

Karen Pierce Gonzalez

 


 

 

Mythic guide

 

Gliding on gales

Raven scoured the shorelines

for signs of humans lost

in clumps of seaweed

and gnarled ropes of kelp,

 

 


 

 

She found me

 

alone

 

washed up

onto the sand

 

forgetful

 

unsinging.

 

 


 

Her task daunting

 

she nearly chipped her beak

against

my hard-shell refusal of help.

 

 


 

  

Ebony feathers dripping wet

 

she pried my shell open

made me row a canoe

across a global expanse of water  -

 

a world I could not circumnavigate alone.

 

 


 

Before sailing

 

stargazers charted maps, study weather patterns

I had to follow to keep my mooring.

 

In the shadows, I listened to watchful conversations

with open-sky constellations. Archer and dog

 

chased solar wind clouds around Venus

whose queenly crown slipped into lunar pools

 

only stellar mermaids could swim.

 

Unseen, unable to speak, I took notes

and tossed peanuts over my shoulder for Raven.


 



Still bound to having more

 

Raven led me into brackish waters

 

where over-farmed, over-fished estuaries

had been winnowed for profit

                        nothing stopped saline coastal currents

from pushing and pulling my hips forward.

  

            In the swoosh, I toppled.


 


  

Think of the future

 

Children cordgrass-tied to mangrove bushes

lining the lagoon, couldn’t follow

their parents into the rising tides.

 

Left behind, they cried, come back!

 

Inlet breezes blew their words away,

ruffled Raven’s shiny feathers

as sharp-toothed girls and boys

 

learned to untie themselves, search for food.

 

Sun-washed,

memories of family faded.

Raven shrilled:

 

Who can teach them how to work a water-wheel?

 



 

 

On cold days

 

Raven plucked bits of her shiny plumage.

dropped it into the canoe’s forward lookout point

where I sat hoping to see where I was going.

 

 


 

Raven wouldn’t let me berth here

 

Minus tide mudflats

reached out to dock,

grabbed sailboats

dragged them to land.

Under pressure

anchor chains swung,

dirt fingers pulled

stem to stern,

mast poles broke

into houses

built upon piers

for safety.

Mud hands twisted

grains of wood -

against will

they snapped

into splinters

sent out to sea.

 

 


  

When beached

 

at low tide on Camp Hang-on island

I looked for Ankh — an undersea boy

who made bonfires with driftwood.

 

He managed to survive days on dry land

and said we were still more than 60 percent water.

Even in sleep, he ocean-swam everywhere.

 

I told him Raven scanned every day

for signs of our waking up

the deep-dream lining of our spines.

 

In that sprawl we would parasail

above crushed glass sands

into the next swell.

 

 

 

 

When I was seasick

 

Raven hovered only inches away

 

to make sure I wasn’t  

 

whipped by salt winds into submission.




A sheltered harbor’s ceremonial crest

 

Sculpted on red cedar, Raven

oversaw Salmon feeding Bear


and lifted buck-tooth Beaver

—fur once hunted like gold—

 

onto howling Sea Wolf shoulders.

Rodent eyes ever on the cove,

 

he scouted for strangers -

eager to keep them at bay.

 

 


 

Gift

 

When Raven opened me up,

the pearl inside had not yet formed.

The grit of continents rising and falling

clung to one another

as if my life depended upon them

to grind me into a gem

 

and maybe it did.

 

Maybe, in the end, my journey

was to have been to be born a jewel

admired, treasured, held closely

against my once hopeful

hurt-radiant heart whose chambers

faced the four directions

 

on a prayer wheel: East South West North.

 

Above and below,

vast cloud-skies of aqua

compressed the sorrow wounds

of having not been seen or heard

as I saw and heard myself now.

In this Raven-mirrored world

 

salt water tears tasted like honey

and far away moonlight ladled

crisp blue tints and toasted red hues

not known before

onto a paint palette - 

my own hands the brushes.

 

 



 

Grateful

 

this legendary bird spotted me

clammed up, unable to set myself free,

I built her a totem.

 

A four-foot-tall pine trunk wrapped

in purple-yellow electrical coils and tiny white lights

that in darkness starlit her fabled beauty

 

and I sang

 

Raven wings lift my silence into sound and sight

carry my words and images across waves

towards new ports of entry into life.

 

 


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Write Poetry by Jim Babwe